Monday 23 June 2014

Space Tourist

Hey penguinators! I was going through my stuff and found this space story I had written as an assignment last year. Hope you like it!

Space Tourist
By [me!]

I felt so excited, I could almost hear my own heart leaping out of my chest. Why? Today was the day I would be going to outer space! I couldn’t wait. All those days of training would finally pay off. You see, I’ve been training hard for the last few days in order to prepare going up in outer space. It was the hardest moments of my life, but it was definitely worth it. To explore a place beyond Earth? Even for a few hours? I’d definitely take a chance. I remember my very first day of training. The feeling of excitement, knowing that I would be going to outer space, that rush of adrenaline, ready to take on whatever was in my way. But there was also one more feeling I got while waiting for my trainer to arrive. That feeling of worry. Worrying that I wouldn't be good enough, that I would fail the training, and that I’d lose the privilege to go to space. I was very scared, but I soon shook off the feeling once I met my trainer. My trainer was a very friendly, middle-aged woman whose name was Andromeda. We shook hands and introduced ourselves. After that, Andromeda led me to a big room with lots of machines and other devices. That was where my training began. In the middle of the room, there was a huge, silver, circular machine with a small, black seat in the middle. I was placed onto the seat and was tightly strapped on. At first I didn’t know what was going on until my trainer explained to me that this part of the training would be to help me understand what the feeling would be as I leave the Earth’s atmosphere, and to get me used to the rapid movement of spinning. I tried to ask a question, but the machine had already sprung to life. The spinning started slowly, and then gradually got faster and faster. I was whipped around and tossed like I was weightless. I felt sick as I clutched my straps for dear life. After the rattling ride ended, I hobbled down from the seat and got a five minute break to catch my breath. After I relaxed a little, Andromeda told me what my next training lesson would be about. I listened to her, as she explained to me that another part of the training would be to help me get used to living in tight spaces.  I was put in a small room made entirely out of metal. It contained a small table in the middle of the room. There was a small opening in one of the walls that contained a sleeping bag and a rather fluffy pillow. As my trainer showed me around, the only things I recognized were a small window, a few buttons and cords, and a short cabinet. Other than that, there was really nothing in the room. My trainer told me that I would be shut in this room for two hours. There wasn't much to do in there so I tried to take a nap. I crawled inside the narrow opening and strapped myself down inside the sleeping bag. It was very comfortable and I soon dozed off. Andromeda came back exactly on time and woke me up. As I rubbed my eyes, I could see her smiling a bit. I wondered why. Was I snoring? Drooling? That would’ve been very embarrassing! But I hid my blushed face from her as she led me down again to a hallway and I was introduced to my final training lesson. It was unusual, but I guessed it was supposed to be unusual for a good reason. I was given a change room to change in and with the help of my trainer, I put on a massive spacesuit, three times my size and I wobbled over to a shallow swimming pool. I asked her why I would be swimming in a spacesuit, and she explained to me that in water, it is almost the same thing as being in no gravity. She told me that this experience would allow me to get used to wearing a space suit in outer space without gravity. I wasn’t exactly prepared, and I was tripped face-first into the water, but I soon got up and started to trudge through the water to the other end of the pool. It felt like walking in mud! It was very hard to move, but I soon got the hang of it. Andromeda was so proud of me, and it felt great to accomplish something I worked hard for. Back in reality, I board the spacecraft that would carry me to outer space. I strap myself onto a seat and remember my first training lesson. I remember the rapid spinning and brace myself for the feeling again as the spacecraft rumbles. I wave good-bye to my family and Andromeda, and squeeze my eyes tightly. The countdown ends, and I feel myself spinning and spinning…to outer space.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment